Note: The materials and links on this page will be helpful to anyone, but they are meant especially to augment and extend the learning of participants in Justice For All's flagship training program, Abortion: From Debate to Dialogue, which includes Seat Work and Feet Work experiences led by Certified JFA Mentors. For details about how you can participate in that program, click the link. If you're unable to participate, consider also JFA's presentations and our "Learn at Home" program.
Preparing for COMMON QUESTIONS and Arguments
"Doesn't a woman's right to her body justify abortion, even if the unborn is a human being?" (also called "Bodily Rights")
- It's Her Body - Series by Steve Wagner (2018)
- Interactive Guide, Activity 6 - If you read nothing else, this entry-level material will at least help you ask the right questions to determine if you’re encountering a bodily rights argument. (Get the full Interactive Guide here.)
- Autumn in the Sovereign Zone (by Timothy Brahm)
- De Facto Guardian and Abortion: A Response to the Strongest Violinist (This post includes a link to a lengthy paper on the strongest version of the violinist argument as well as links to other papers/reflections on bodily rights by Tony George, Timothy Brahm, and Steve Wagner)
- Bodily Rights Resources from Equal Rights Institute (ERI)
- ERI President Josh Brahm teaches on bodily rights (video/audio).
- Trent Horn's debate with David Boonin on bodily rights (Both are experts on the topic.)
Is Abortion the Right Thing to Do If the Mother's Life Is in Danger?
What About Abortion in Cases of Fetal Deformity?
- "What About Do You Support Abortion in Cases of Fetal Deformity?" (Abortion: From Debate to Dialogue, The Interactive Guide: Pages 160-162)
- Use JFA's Original Exhibit Brochure to discuss the story of Samuel Armas:
- Click here to view JFA's Original Exhibit as a pdf (Warning: After the first couple of panels, this brochure contains extremely graphic images of fetal surgery, the results of abortion, and genocide).
- More information about Samuel Armas: "15 Years Later Samuel Armas Sees Amazing Photo..." (Article at LifeNews.com)
- Detailed Biographical Sketch of Samuel's life in the present day: Hope and Faith (Atlanta Journal Constitution: March 13, 2016)
- "Human or Statistic? Do We Know What Percentage of Down Syndrome Kids Are Killed by Abortion?" by Steve Wagner
- "What Percentage of Spina Bifida Kids Are Aborted?" by Steve Wagner
Is Abortion Legal Through All Nine Months?
- Abortion: From Debate to Dialogue, The Interactive Guide (Pages 136-138)
- JFA Certification Project #10 (Assignments #120-123)
- See JFA's "More Facts" page for more.
What is the Unborn Biologically?
- Maureen Condic, "Life: Defining the Beginning by the End" (First Things, 2003)
- Maureen Condic, "When Does Human Life Begin? - A Scientific Perspective" (October 2008)
- JFA's "What Is the Unborn?" page (includes quotations from embryologists and pro-choice philosophers affirming that the unborn is a living, human organism biologically)
- Is the unborn constructed like a car or does he/she develop like a Polaroid photo?
- Richard Stith, "Arguing with Pro-Choicers" (First Things, 11/4/2006)
- Steve Wagner, "You Aren't Going Anywhere." (JFA Blog, 2/27/2016)
- Richard Stith's academic paper on the topic is also highly recommended: Richard Stith, "Construction vs. Development: Polarizing Models of Human Gestation"
- Other Helpful Tips
Should the Unborn Be Treated Equally to You and Me?
- Equal Rights Argument (Newsletter Collection)
- Just a Minute... (One-Minute Defense of the Pro-Life View)
"Abortion should be legal until the unborn is viable." (Or, "The unborn isn't a person until it's viable.")
- Trent Horn (JFA Intern in 2009-2010, now with Catholic Answers) responds in dialogue with a pro-choice caller on the radio (4:06 and following).
- A Good Conversation Is...a Mirror - Steve Wagner (In the conversation Steve featured in this newsletter, viability factored in early on.)
Does the Bible Say Anything about Abortion?
"I'm pro-life personally, but I don't feel like I can force my views on people through laws against abortion."
- #Mindblown - Rebecca Haschke (In this newsletter, Rebecca details a conversation she had with a student, and she includes much of the dialogue.)
"If abortion is made illegal, won't women die in the back alleys?"
"If abortion is made illegal, how should a woman who has an abortion be punished?"
- See Steve Wagner's five posts in this series: "Pro-Lifer's Squirm at the Punishment Question...but Why?" (This link takes you to Part V of the series, written a few years after the initial four posts. All are linked in Part V.)
- See Trent Horn's excellent blog post (April 1, 2016): "Should a Woman Be Punished for Having an Abortion?"
- Considering Graphic Pictures
- Abortion: From Debate to Dialogue, The Interactive Guide (Pages 110-112)
- JFA Certification Assignment #13: Why Do Some People Act? (30-Minute Guided Reflection Beginning with a Consideration of Jet Magazine's Photos of Emmett Till)
- Creating Dialogue on Moral Relativism
EXAMPLES FROM JFA TRAINERS AND VOLUNTEERS
- Selected Newsletters (including Dialogue Examples)
- Selected Newsletters (including Vivid Descriptions of Conversations)
Resources You Can Request
- Request JFA Exhibit 2000 Brochures
- Request JFA's "Learn at Home" Program (Printed Materials)
- Request JFA's Monthly Letter by Email or U.S. Mail
Optional Preparation for the ADD Seminar
- Interview a Friend
- Encourage a Friend to Join You at ADD!
- Christians and Graphic Visuals
- Common Ground Without Compromise (free book)
Feet Work and Repeat Work Materials
(Tools for Dialogue)
- JFA's Link Lists for Outreach
- About the Unborn (video, embryologists, and pro-choice philosophers)
- About Abortion
- Write a Reflection (you can use this as a dialogue tool to start more conversation)
- Repeat Work - Instructions
- Scribe - Evaluate - Brainstorm - Pray
- JFA Brochure (get a free copy)
- JFA's "What Are the Facts" (2 pages)
- Common Ground Without Compromise (free book)
- JFA's Virtual Exhibit